Understanding How Much Your Personal Injury Claim May Be Worth
If you have been injured in an accident that someone else caused, you may be entitled to recover personal injury compensation for losses including:
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses, including for hospital care, surgeries or other medical procedures, prescription pain medications, physical/occupational therapy, or purchases of medical/mobility equipment
- Long-term care expenses, such as home health services, to help if you sustain permanent disabilities due to your injuries
- Lost income if you miss work because of your injuries, or loss of future income and benefits of employment if you are permanently disabled from working
- Physical pain and anguish
- Emotional trauma and distress
- Reduced life expectancy or quality of life because of injuries, disabilities, or scarring/disfigurement
No one can give you an honest assessment of what your case is worth right after an accident. Any immediate settlement offer will not be taking into account long-term losses down the line. That’s why you need an experienced Salt Lake City personal injury attorney who will take the time to assess your damages and determine the full value of your claim.
What Is the Time Limit for Filing a Personal Injury Lawsuit in Utah?
After an accident, you have limited time in which to file a personal injury lawsuit against the party responsible for your injuries. Typically, the statute of limitations in Utah gives you only four years from the date you were injured to file suit against those liable for your losses.
If you file suit after the limitations period has expired on your personal injury claim, the court will likely permanently dismiss your lawsuit. And remember, insurance companies are willing to negotiate settlements only as long as the threat of a lawsuit remains a possibility.
A Salt Lake City Personal Injury Attorney Can Take the Stress Off You
If you’ve been injured in an accident in Salt Lake City, you should be focused on treatment and recovery, not on preparing a complex insurance claim or lawsuit. Let our Salt Lake City personal injury lawyers handle this on your behalf by:
- Investigating the accident that caused your injuries to recover evidence that identifies the parties at fault
- Hiring accident reconstruction experts and other expert witnesses to provide persuasive testimony in support of your claims
- Identifying potential sources of compensation in your personal injury case, such as applicable insurance policies
- Documenting your injuries and losses, including future anticipated losses
- Filing your demands for compensation with the at-fault parties and insurance companies and aggressively pursuing a negotiated settlement that will provide you with the full compensation you need
- Taking your case to trial if litigation becomes necessary to fight for the best possible recovery
What Can You Do to Protect Your Rights After an Accident in Salt Lake City?
After any accident, you need to act quickly to protect your legal options for pursuing a personal injury claim. Take as many of the following steps as possible:
- Take photos or videos of the accident scene using your cellphone. Document important details such as whatever you believe caused the accident or your injuries, as well as lighting and weather conditions, if relevant.
- See a physician as soon as possible after the accident to have any injuries diagnosed and documented. Follow the treatment instructions and recommendations that your medical providers give you.
- Avoid posting about the accident or your injuries on social media. Don’t post any photos or videos of you engaging in activities that might undercut your account of your injuries. Insurance companies can use even seemingly innocent posts to contradict your claim for compensation.
- Keep copies of any invoices, bills, or receipts for expenses you incur due to the accident and your injuries.
- Have your pay stubs or income statements on hand as well if you take time off work as a result of your injuries.
Finally, speak with a Salt Lake City personal injury lawyer from Swenson & Shelley to discuss how our firm can assist with your case.
We Help People Get Their Lives Back After All Types of Catastrophic Injuries
At Swenson & Shelley, our nationally renowned personal injury lawyers have helped many clients recover financially, physically, and emotionally from injuries such as:
- Broken bones
- Torn ligaments, tendons, or muscles
- Nerve damage
- Neck and back injuries
- Herniated spinal discs
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Internal organ injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Facial injuries and scarring
- Amputations, or loss of body parts or bodily functions
Get an Experienced Salt Lake City Personal Injury Lawyer on Your Side Now
You should not have to bear the financial consequences of injuries that were caused by the carelessness of others. Contact Swenson & Shelley today for a free, no-obligation consultation with a personal injury lawyer in Salt Lake City. We will listen to your story, answer your questions, and help you demand justice and compensation.