Orem Car Accident Lawyer
When car accidents happen, the consequences too often go beyond mere property damage. Severe injuries, expensive bills, and emotional trauma can all rob someone of their quality of life. These losses can seem even worse when the crash is someone else’s fault.
It’s difficult and stressful to handle the legal complexities of a car wreck on your own. With an Orem auto accident lawyer on your side, you’ll have an experienced and skilled partner to guide you through the legal process and tirelessly fight for the compensation you need.
Swenson & Shelley has represented countless clients throughout the Beehive State. We work entirely on your behalf, using our resources and expansive knowledge to investigate what happened, deal with insurers, and defend your rights at each step. Our initial case reviews are free, and you won’t owe us anything unless we win your case. Contact a car crash attorney in Orem at our office today.
What to Do After a Car Accident
You can strengthen your case and protect your legal interests by following these critical steps after a car accident:
- Get medical help as soon as possible – Even if your injuries seem minor on the outside, it’s still crucial to be examined by a healthcare professional as quickly as possible. This step is proactive for your long-term health. It will also begin building medical records that your lawyer can use later.
- Exchange information – If you’re physically able, Utah law requires you to obtain insurance and contact information for everyone involved in the accident. If you’re not physically able to do this, you can have someone do it on your behalf.
- Watch what you say – Insurers can use anything you say to harm your case. Don’t discuss the accident with anyone except your Orem car accident attorney and the local police. If the insurance company wants a recorded statement from you, talk to your lawyer first. If you agree to give the statement, have your lawyer present, and don’t admit fault.
- Watch what you post – Just as you should watch what you say in person, you should also watch what you post online. Don’t share information about the accident on social media while your case is pending.
- Keep careful records – Obtain physical copies of your medical bills, doctors’ notes, and repair receipts.
Types of Damages Available in Car Accident Claims
In a car accident lawsuit, you’re pursuing two types of damages or compensation. The first type, “economic damages,” encompasses financial costs like:
- Medical expenses – Economic damages can include the cost of outpatient care, hospital stays, home care, surgeries, drugs, and medical devices.
- Lost wages – Your Orem car accident lawyer can use copies of your paystubs to determine how much compensation you are entitled to for your lost wages.
- Property repair and modifications – Your attorney can consider the costs of car repairs and accessibility modifications on your home if they’re required.
The second type, “non-economic damages,” covers intangible losses that don’t have a fixed monetary value. These include:
- Pain and suffering – This is money for your physical pain, emotional stress, and mental anguish after the accident.
- Loss of consortium – If your physical injuries hinder your ability to enjoy your spouse’s companionship, your lawyer can include this loss when calculating your potential compensation.
- Lost enjoyment of life – Your lawyer will consider how your injuries affect your enjoyment of your hobbies, pastimes, and routines. Your lawyer can assess the value of these losses and include them in your settlement demand.
The Importance of an Initial Consultation with an Orem Car Accident Attorney
Getting an initial consultation is the first step to building your case. During this session, a lawyer will:
- Introduce themselves and their firm
- Hear from you about the crash and your injuries
- Examine documents and evidence you’ve already collected
- Determine the likelihood that your claim will succeed and calculate how much it might be worth
- Discuss your legal rights and options
We recommend that the consultation happen as soon as possible. This is primarily because of Utah’s statute of limitations, which sets a four-year deadline from the accident date for you to file a lawsuit. Solid cases take time to prepare. Filing your lawsuit after the deadline expires means you’ll likely lose the right to seek compensation at trial.
An early consultation with a lawyer about your case is essential so that your lawyer can file insurance claims on your behalf, communicate with adjusters, write demand letters, and try to negotiate a settlement for you. An early start gives your lawyer more time to prepare a convincing case and increases the chances an insurer will offer you a fair settlement.
Starting early also means your lawyer will have more time to gather and preserve crucial evidence, including witness statements, photos, or video footage. While your lawyer builds your case, you can focus on your health and well-being.
Proactive Measures to Prevent Car Accidents and Injuries
While not every car accident is preventable, there are ways that drivers can protect others on the road and reduce the chance of an accident happening. They include:
- Staying within speed limits, obeying stoplights and stop signs, and paying attention to advisory signs
- Parking in a safe, legal place before you use your cell phone or eat in the car
- Keeping your vehicle well-maintained
- Adjusting your speed during snowy weather and using tire chains or studded tires in the wintertime
- Not using alcohol or drugs before you drive
Choosing Swenson & Shelley as Your Personal Injury Lawyer in Orem
Swenson & Shelley is an award-winning personal injury firm serving clients in Orem and throughout the Wasatch Front. One of our co-founders is a former insurance defense attorney. We’re well-acquainted with the tactics these corporations use to protect liable parties.
Honesty and transparency are our core values. We strive to make ourselves available 24/7 if you have a question about your case. If you’ve been injured by someone else in a car accident in Orem, call Swenson & Shelley today for a no-obligation case review.