Orem Truck Accident Lawyers
Only those with personal experience can fully understand just how frightening and devastating a truck accident can be. The consequences are often severe and life-changing. If you were seriously injured in a truck accident in Orem, we at Swenson & Shelley understand the many challenges you may be facing, such as a painful recovery, an inability to earn an income, and an unending stream of medical bills. Our lawyers are committed to the relentless pursuit of justice for truck accident victims™.
Our seasoned Orem truck accident attorneys have years of experience holding negligent drivers, trucking companies, and insurance giants accountable. We have the knowledge, skills, and resources to navigate even the most complicated truck accident claims, and we’re ready to put the full force of our firm to work for you.
Learn more about your rights in a free consultation with an Orem truck accident attorney today. With Swenson & Shelley, you can rest easy knowing that we do not charge any fees unless we secure payment for you.
When Should You Get a Lawyer After a Truck Accident in Orem?
Most people don’t think of themselves as “the type” to sue. However, if you were seriously hurt in a truck accident that wasn’t your fault, you should speak with an attorney about your legal options as soon as possible. Truck accident claims can be extremely complicated, and with medical bills mounting up, you can’t afford to wait and see how things shake out. You need a skilled Orem truck accident attorney on your side from the very beginning.
Why Are Truck Accident Cases So Complex?
The process of pursuing compensation for a truck accident claim is typically much more challenging and time-consuming than it is for a typical car accident claim. This is because:
- The trucking industry has complex regulations. Truck companies and drivers must follow specific state and federal rules to keep large commercial vehicles operating safely on the roads. Truck drivers are expected to regularly inspect their vehicles for defects, for example. It’s important to have an attorney who has an in-depth understanding of these laws so they can identify any violations that may have contributed to the truck accident.
- There could be multiple liable parties. There are many entities involved in the operation of a commercial truck, and any one of them could potentially be liable for a crash. This not only makes it harder to identify liable parties, but means an accident victim may potentially have to negotiate with several different parties with varying degrees of liability.
- Higher insurance policy limits are involved. Due to a truck’s potential for harm, truck companies and drivers are required to carry much higher insurance policies for their vehicles than the average driver. Many companies have layered policies that can be complicated to sift through. With more money on the line, insurance companies will fight fiercely to avoid paying a victim what they’re owed.
- Victims tend to suffer severe injuries. Because of their enormous size and significant weight, trucks are capable of causing catastrophic injuries in a crash. As a result, truck accident victims tend to require more medical care and long-term treatment. This means victims need more compensation to recover, and insurance companies will work harder than ever to limit their payouts.
Benefits of Working with an Orem Truck Accident Lawyer
It is always in your best interest to have a knowledgeable truck accident lawyer on your side if a crash has left you with injuries. There are many challenges that can arise in these situations. Your truck accident lawyer will protect your rights, advise you of your best options, and handle every step of the claims process, including:
- Conducting a thorough investigation of the accident
- Preserving and analyzing all relevant evidence
- Interviewing witnesses and experts
- Drafting and filing the documentation for your claim
- Communicating with all parties
- Negotiating assertively for a fair settlement
If your case doesn’t settle, your lawyer can fight for your rights in the courtroom.
What Compensation Can Be Recovered After a Semi-Truck Accident in Orem?
The value of a truck accident claim will vary depending on the circumstances of the wreck and the extent of the injuries involved. Generally, however, you are entitled to pursue compensation for the different types of losses you sustained as a result of the collision, such as:
- Current and future medical bills
- Physical rehabilitation expenses
- Lost wages
- Lost earning capacity
- Mental and emotional distress
- Pain and suffering
- Lost quality of life
- Permanent disability
A truck accident attorney will explore all avenues of compensation and work to document the extent of the losses you’ve suffered to support your claim.
Who Can Be Held Responsible for an 18-Wheeler Accident?
Although truck drivers are the only ones in actual control of the truck at the time of the accident, that does not automatically mean they are the only parties liable for the collision. Multiple parties can be responsible for a truck accident, including:
- The truck driver, whose negligence may cause a collision
- The truck driver’s employer, which must hire qualified drivers and ensure they’re properly trained, among other duties
- The truck owner, if different from the trucking company
- The cargo loader, which must ensure cargo is properly loaded and tied down
- The manufacturers of the truck’s parts
- The party responsible for truck maintenance
A thorough investigation can help determine whether any of these parties contributed to the cause of the truck accident and what their resulting liability may be.
How Is Fault Determined After a Truck Crash in Orem?
The strength of your truck accident case will ultimately rest on the strength of the evidence you’re able to gather to show fault. This is no small task, however. Since the trucking industry is highly regulated, it generates a substantial amount of documentation and information that must be requested and reviewed in detail.
Some of the evidence your legal team may gather includes:
- Traffic camera or surveillance footage of the accident
- Accident scene photos
- Eyewitness statements
- Findings from accident reconstructions specialists
- Law enforcement’s accident report
- Opinions from expert witnesses
- Data from the truck’s electronic data recorder, or “black box”
- Truck maintenance records
- Truck driver’s logbooks
- Dispatch records
- Truck driver’s driving records
- Truck driver’s training history
- Toll receipts
Statute of Limitations on Truck Accident Lawsuits in Utah
A statute of limitations is a law that imposes a strict time constraint on a plaintiff’s ability to file a lawsuit. In Utah, if you wish to file a lawsuit to pursue compensation for the injuries you suffered in a truck accident, you have only four years from the date of the crash to do so. If the truck accident resulted in a fatality, the representative of the deceased has only two years to file a lawsuit in court.
If you do not file your lawsuit in time, you will likely lose your right to pursue financial recovery in court. This is why it’s so important to consult with a truck accident attorney in Orem as soon as possible after the crash.
Common Causes of Commercial Truck Accidents in Orem
Some of the most common causes of 18-wheeler collisions include:
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence
- Driver fatigue
- Failure to yield or monitor blind spots
- Negligent hiring
- Insufficient driver training
- Lack of truck maintenance
- Defective truck parts
- Dangerous weather conditions
A meticulous investigation can help determine the factors that led to the truck accident.
Tips for Protecting Your Rights After a Truck Accident in Orem
In the moments, weeks, and months following a truck accident, there are straightforward things you can do to help protect your right to compensation, such as:
- Get medical help.
If you receive medical attention at the scene of the accident, always follow up with your doctor for the next steps and continued treatment. If you do not get emergency medical help immediately following the accident, it is best to visit your primary care physician as soon as you are able to for an examination.
- Document your injuries and losses.
After the collision, be sure to hold onto all of the information related to your case, such as your medical records, expense receipts, and photos of the accident and your injuries. Also consider keeping a daily log of the physical and emotional challenges you face due to your injuries. This information can help your lawyer calculate your damages and build a substantial case.
- Avoid discussing the accident with others.
Remember that anything you say to the insurance companies and anything you post on social media could potentially be used to discredit your case. It’s best to let your attorney communicate with insurers on your behalf.
- Consult with a truck accident attorney.
Soon after the accident, discuss your case with a qualified lawyer. Your attorney will review the details surrounding the truck accident to determine the best legal strategy for your case.
Get Trusted Legal Advice from an Orem Truck Accident Attorney Today
If you’ve suffered injuries in a big-rig crash, don’t wait to talk to a compassionate truck accident attorney at Swenson & Shelley. We’ll listen to your story and let you know how we can help you pursue the fair compensation you’re due. Contact us today for a free consultation with an Orem truck accident lawyer.