Car Accident Lawyer in Salt Lake City
Traffic crashes are always shocking and often devastating. They can leave you with painful injuries, missed work, mounting medical bills, and other burdens. Obtaining compensation can help you account for these losses, but Utah car accident victims may run into trouble getting the money they need when it matters most.
Getting honest legal advice is crucial when pursuing fair compensation after a crash. A Salt Lake City car accident attorney can investigate the crash, build your case, and negotiate with the insurance company for a settlement that accounts for your past and future needs. If necessary, a skilled trial lawyer can also fight for the compensation you deserve in court.
When you need the right firm for car accidents in Salt Lake City, turn to Swenson & Shelley. Our proven attorneys have the skills, knowledge, and resources to pursue maximum compensation and justice for you.
Our attorneys are available 24/7 to provide the legal support you need during this difficult time. Contact us today for a free consultation.
Common Causes of Car Accidents in Salt Lake City
Many factors can contribute to collisions on Salt Lake City roads and highways. Some of the most common causes include:
- Distracted driving – Drivers talking on the phone, texting, eating, or engaging in other distractions can cause life-threatening collisions.
- Speeding – Driving too fast reduces a driver’s ability to stop in time to accommodate changing traffic conditions. Speed-related collisions often cause severe injuries due to the violent force of impact between the vehicles involved.
- Drunk driving – Intoxication impairs a motorist’s coordination, judgment, and reaction time, increasing the chances of a car crash.
- Aggressive driving – Weaving through traffic, tailgating, ignoring traffic signals, and other reckless behaviors put everyone at risk.
- Inclement weather – Rain, snow, and ice make roads slick and visibility poor, increasing accident risks — particularly when other drivers fail to take the necessary precautions.
- Unsafe lane changes – Failing to signal and check blind spots before changing lanes can lead to sideswipe crashes.
- Fatigued driving – Estimates suggest nearly 6,000 fatal crashes each year are due to drowsy driving.
Many times, a crash can have several underlying causes. More than one party may be liable in these situations. Working with a personal injury attorney in Salt Lake City can help identify who should be held responsible for your injuries.
What Are the Steps to Take After a Car Accident in Salt Lake City?
Being in an auto accident can be disorienting and scary, making it difficult to think in the aftermath of a collision. However, knowing what steps to take can protect your rights and strengthen your injury claim. Here’s what to do:
- Seek medical attention, even if you feel OK – A prompt examination protects your health and ensures documentation of your injuries on your medical record.
- Report the crash to the police – An officer will create an official accident report, which your attorney can use later as evidence.
- Document the scene – If you can, take photos of the vehicles involved in the crash, your visible injuries, skid marks, and relevant environmental conditions. Gather witness names and contact information.
- Check your insurance policy – Most insurers have deadlines to notify them of a crash. If you have time, it’s wise to talk to a car accident lawyer before talking to the insurance company. If you cannot reach an attorney, keep your accident report brief and factual.
- Keep detailed records – Save all accident-related documents, such as medical bills, auto repair invoices, receipts, pay stubs, and correspondence with insurance companies.
- Consult an auto accident attorney in Salt Lake City – A skilled lawyer can handle dealings with insurance providers while you heal.
Following these steps helps optimize your chances of receiving maximum compensation. A knowledgeable personal injury attorney in Salt Lake City can advise you on protecting your rights.
Types of Compensation Available for Car Accident Victims
If you sustain injuries in a Utah auto accident, you first seek compensation through your no-fault insurance provider. For serious injuries, you may be able to step outside the no-fault system and demand additional compensation, including money for:
- Medical expenses – Current and future costs of medical treatment related to the crash
- Lost wages – Reimbursement for past and future income you lost or will lose
- Pain and suffering – Monetary compensation for physical and emotional trauma
- Loss of consortium – Compensation for injuries that negatively impact family relationships
- Punitive damages – Extra compensation meant to punish a grossly negligent driver
All cases are different, and the compensation you receive will depend on the circumstances of your accident and the severity of your injuries. An auto accident attorney in Salt Lake City, Utah can calculate the full value of your losses and fight to help you obtain the money you are owed.
Hiring a Local Car Accident Lawyer in Salt Lake City
When hiring a Salt Lake City car accident attorney, you want an experienced, aggressive, and compassionate legal professional. Look for a lawyer who:
- Focuses specifically on personal injury cases
- Has a history of obtaining favorable verdicts and settlements for injured people
- Is familiar with Utah laws and court procedures
- Has resources to investigate your crash thoroughly
- Will compassionately guide you through the claims process
- Will fight tirelessly for the best possible results in your case
The Salt Lake City car crash lawyers at Swenson & Shelley fit the bill. With decades of experience and a proven track record of success, our legal team has helped thousands of clients in Utah get justice after catastrophic crashes. We are aggressive advocates dedicated to getting accident victims full and fair compensation. Our legal team will thoroughly investigate the crash, work with accident reconstruction specialists as needed, consult with medical experts, and handle all aspects of the claims process for you.
If you or a loved one suffered injuries in a Utah auto collision, contact Swenson & Shelley today for a free case review.