Who will pay for my medical bills after a car accident?

If you’ve been injured in a car accident in the state of Utah, know that medical bills are handled by a number of different types of insurance. First off, Utah requires that all automobile insurance policies have what’s called personal injury protection; sometimes that’s abbreviated at PIP. PIP will cover at a minimum the first $3,000 of medical bills for each person that was injured in a car crash. Once PIP has been used up, the next layer of defense would be your health insurance.

We would recommend that any of your medical bills be processed through your health insurance carrier. In addition, if you don’t have health insurance and your medical bills are more than what is covered by the personal injury protection, we can help communicate with the medical offices and the medical providers and explain to them that we are going to help them get compensated and help them get their money for the medical services they provided once the case has settled. The medical bills would ultimately be paid out of the injury settlement.